CPR Section House

CPR Section House

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Look What I Found !

                 
from trainweb.org archives
 Dad gave me three different CPR chairs during my starting out years after college . One was a cocktail chair from the lounge car , one was stationary captain style chair from a station/bunkhouse and the last chair was a dining car chair from one of these Versailles Dining Cars .
In this illustration from July 1929 issue of Canadian Homes and Gardens you can see the chair back . It was covered in green leather with a hat/purse rack under the chair for the convenience of passengers . Because the one I got was in bad shape (the leather) , I had to recover it . Inside , there were heavy lead weights which kept the chair steady when the train was moving . Once the 'Canadian' silver bullet style train took over from these magnificent old passenger cars of the steam age , old furniture ended up in bunk houses , service cars and who knows where else. Dad rescued my chairs from a bunkhouse that was being demolished . Lucky me !

www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrains/archives   visit this webpage for some very cool stuff

This article shows people travelling in high style . It wasn't too long after this that many people began to ride the rails in box cars and on flat cars looking for work during the Depression .

No comments: